Saturday, July 21, 2007

BMW Shorties

This may just be the best thing yet (in my most humble opinion) that’s ever happened in our campus. I mean artists’ performing their gigs here: far from happening. But this, this is just too good to be true.

Our university has decided to collaborate with the BMW group (yes, the BMW) to hold some movie screenings of the 10 best short films that’s competed in the BMW shorties, here in our campus. It will be a two day event meaning 5 films per day will be showed to the audience. Directors of these shorties are mostly independent filmmakers, filmmakers on the rise and student directors.

Here’s the best part, it’s free admission, plus you get free popcorn and a free coke drink; you’d be crazy to miss this. Between each movie screening as well, there will be a Q and A session where audiences will have the opportunity to express their feedback towards each film. Think the night as a chance for movie-goers and movie buffs to gather and talk about films. These aren’t just any films; these are short films that have won an award of some kind, received recognition, etc. Most importantly these are films that matters.

If you all aren’t aware by now, I’m crazy about film-making, so this is my golden opportunity. So, I joined the organizing committee, and as far as organizing committees are concerned, they’re only interested in achieving what’s on the surface. I mean, they don’t seem to even know what they’re doing this for. It’s like one of those nightmares that I have, but when I woke up the next morning, it isn’t a nightmare, it’s really happening.

I happen to fall under the publicity and promotion biro, so just let me get into my zone right here: if any of you out there, that’s interested in short films or films, or you just want to waste the night away, or you wanna spend time doing something useful for free, and you’re in Malaysia, come down here to IIUM and occupy your time with some good, wholesome entertainment. Like I said, you’d be crazy to miss it.

For more information on time, date, place, etc click here.

For more information on BMW shorties, click here.