Wednesday, August 08, 2007

The Radio Dept.

It’s time for all of you to get to know one of – no, possibly my most favourite band in my own humble world of music obsession. I’ve kept them aside for quite awhile and right now seem like the perfect time to award them with the recognition they rightfully deserve.

The Radio Dept. makes the sort of music that people will either warm up to or wince at. I love the huge contrast between the scratchy, raw, almost ear-aching melodies and understated, indistinct whispery vocals that you could easily identify in most of Radio Dept.’s brilliant tunes. The result is they’ve managed to create a kind of music that’s awe-inspiringly wonderful and engaging.

I learnt to love this band, when I first watched the movie Marie Antoinette which I believe is one of those movies that has the best soundtrack selection one could possibly ask for. It was through that movie also, where the band had gained their first big break.

The Swedish band is often related to genres such as Indie Pop, Shoegazer and Twee Pop and while it may sound like they make music that’s coated with honey and sugary sweetness, it doesn’t necessarily come off that way. Some of their music, I’ve found seem to be quite the opposite. Currently, they’re working on their latest album which I’ve quickly included in my list of ‘Most Anticipated Albums of the Year’.
I personally think everyone should have a band like this; the kind that you’ll always have faith in when your friends cringe and shake their heads at the ridiculous music choice. The Radio Dept. is the type of band that has its own unique fan-base - and I’m glad that I could be a part of it.

|mp3| The Radio Dept. – Pulling Our Weight (HIGHLY REC’D)

|mp3| The Radio Dept. – Where Damage Isn’t Already Done (HIGHLY REC’D)



:: The Radio Dept. ::